Today's engineering student...
has high expectations and specific interests. Their concern for the earth and its humanity is driving the explosive growth in the study of sustainability and renewable energy sources. As educators it is our responsibility to tap this enthusiasm by offering educational experiences beyond the classroom – from the research lab to digging wells that provide clean water and improved sanitary conditions for an African village. Armed with hands-on research experiences integrated with an interdisciplinary education, our 21st century graduates enter the engineering profession better prepared to fulfill their career aspirations and make a profound impact on the world.
Our mission is to:
- provide a quality educational experience for all students, both undergraduate and graduate, at the level of the top ranked universities in the nation;
- develop new knowledge, processes, or procedures through research that will benefit mankind; and,
- provide service through professional activities.
The Civil Engineering Program and curriculum of the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering are designed to meet the needs of all students within the context of the Program's Mission Statement. The Program Educational Objectives associated with the Program's Mission Statement are:
- Graduates, within 3-6 years after graduation, can obtain positions in both public and private organizations where they:
Graduates, within 3 to 6 years after graduation, are continuing their professional development by extending their professional knowledge through independent learning, continuing education courses, conferences, workshops, short courses, graduate study and involvement in professional societies.
Graduates, within 3 to 6 years after graduation, who are working in public or private organizations which encourage professional registration, will have made appropriate progress towards achieving that registration.
- deal effectively with clients, the public, or other engineering groups,
- communicate effectively with co-workers and the public, and
- are effective members of teams involved in various aspects of engineering including but not limited to the design and/or construction of civil engineering projects.