Quiz on General Topics
|Decide the answer to each question below
then click on answer to check whether you made the correct
response. There may be more than one correct response to some of the multiple
1. For a pure subcooled liquid
A. the pressure will be lower than the vapor pressure
at the same temperature.
2. In the superheated vapor region of a pure substance
A. quality is greater than 1.0
3. Specific properties
A. apply at a point.
A. is defined by ML/(ML + MV)
5. The vapor pressure of a pure substance
A. depends on the relative amounts of liquid and vapor
6. Which of the following is an extensive property?
7. The critical point of a pure substance:
A. represents the highest temperature and pressure for
which liquid and vapor can coexist.
True or False
8. The normal boiling temperature of water is lower in Tibet than in Manhattan.
9. In the piston-cylinder experiment, volume increased in thetwo phase region as heat was added at constant pressure because gases and liquids both expand as they are heated.
10. At a given pressure, the melting temperature and the boiling temperature can not be equal.
This concludes the tutorial for phase diagrams of pure substances. Please feel free to direct any comments, criticism or suggestions to me via email from my home page. Good luck in your continued study of thermodynamics.